Post Paris Check up - Update

I'm back from Paris, the good news is I didn't have to have surgery. The bad news is the issues i was complaining about were not addressed at all. I felt dismissed, I was told to take some pain killers and come back in a year for a check up.

I'm a firm believer in prevention, not just waiting for something to break down or go terribly wrong in order to go under the knife. How about we prevent that??

At first I was really upset about this, but then after reflection I came to terms with the fact that it is surgeons I consulted with. Surgeons are trained to go in and cut out whatever the problem is and sew or staple you back up. My issues aren't anything operable at this time so I was a non issue, especially when there are other patients to see who really need to go under the knife.



Before leaving for Paris I'd already decided to eliminate gluten from my diet. So now it's time to put that plan into effect.

Why target gluten? Well I've discovered that most of the issues I'm dealing with are similar to symptoms of a person with gluten intolerance. So it won't help to try and see if I feel a significant difference once i go gluten free.

Below is an article I found on the net detailing the top10 ills wheat gluten is linked to:
  1. Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea and even constipation. I see the constipation particularly in children after eating gluten.

  2. Keratosis Pilaris, (also known as ‘chicken skin’ on the back of your arms). This tends be as a result of a fatty acid deficiency and vitamin A deficiency secondary to fat-malabsorption caused by gluten damaging the gut.

  3. Fatigue, brain fog or feeling tired after eating a meal that contains gluten. (I feel this way after all meals)

  4. Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis. (I was diagnosed with Colitis, it's very painful)

  5. Neurologic symptoms such as dizziness or feeling of being off balance.

  6. Hormone imbalances such as PMS, PCOS or unexplained infertility.

  7. Migraine headaches.

  8. Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia. These diagnoses simply indicate your conventional doctor cannot pin point the cause of your fatigue or pain. (No diagnosis but this is certainly my case)

  9. Inflammation, swelling or pain in your joints such as fingers, knees or hips.

  10. Mood issues such as anxiety, depression, mood swings and ADD.


In Orange are the issues I'm suffering from at this time, Anemia is another symptom. This is another resource with a more exhaustive list of symptoms. So you see it's worth a try and I'm willing to go this route to see if there will be any improvement. Let's see how I can do this on a tiny island with limited gluten free options.

I just can't sit around waiting for things to get worse. That's not my style.

Oh french baguettes I shall miss you most of all


Comments