4 years Post-Op today!

Today is the 4th Anniversary of my Whipple! Four years ago i couldn't fathom still being here. Yet here I am!

I can't say yet that I'm totally healthy or that every stomach flu doesn't immediately make me think of the worst. Such things take time i know. But as of my last CT scans and blood work in December 2008, I'm proud to say that I'm healthy! I've even gained weight! To look at me you'd never guess i was ill a day in my life.

I still have stomach issues, now and then. I'm prone to stomach viruses apparently and some stuff are just a no-no, like to much greasy foods, they might taste great but are hell on the other end.

One big physical hurdle I have overcome is the weigh issue. After loosing weigh uncontrollably for so long and then being stable fro a least a year now I'm actually gaining weigh like a normal person. Every silver lining comes with it's own grey cloud, now i actualy have to exercise to maintain my weigh. lol!

One big mental hurdle was making plans for my futur. I'm planning 2010's vacation now, when just 2 years ago i couldn't bring myself to sign up for a trip a year in advance, i wasn't sure i'd be around a year later to actualy go. But i did sign up for that trip and went to South Africa July 2008. You can read about my trip here http://www.travelblog.org/Africa/South-Africa/blog-279021.html. I'm thinking south america or australia in 2010.

Another mental hurdle was the thought that since i'd been through so much that the universe should be kinder to me and i should not have another problem again as long as i live. Well it doesn't quite work that way, i've had my heart broken, lost a job a loved to the economy and still haven't found true love or had those kids i opted not to have treatment in order to have (i chose fertility over chemo and radiation).

I'm taking things one day at a time, living again, traveling, i joined a hiking group and a book club. I start a self-defence course tomorrow. There is life after Pancreatic cancer. And you can read about that life here http://adventuresingigi.blogspot.com/

I do realized i was one of the lucky ones that got a 'do over' and i don't take that for granted. I'm a survivor!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Gigi - Just wanted to say, congratulations - I cannot even imagine what this must be like and I am glad you are here to write about it! All the best, Jess
GigiSxm said…
Thanks Jess, it's been a tough battle. But I'm stronger for it.
barcann said…
Gigi
I just read about your battle with cancer.
I am so impressed. You are one tough lady and I am glad you are doing well.
strong Beauperthy stock?
My brother in law had the Whipple procedure over 30 years ago.
Barbara
GigiSxm said…
Thanks Barbara, one of the reasons for this blog besides the purely therapeutic side of writing it all down, was to offer hope. When i was first diagnosed all the info i found on the net was so negative. I hope it helps someone else one day.
Barry said…
That's great news and encouraging for me.

Thanks for your visits to my blog and for your comments. They have been very helpful.

I look forward to more visit here.
GigiSxm said…
I've been reading your blog for some time now, your writing is beautiful.
I just wanted to offer some comfort and encouragement i pray all goes well for you.
Unknown said…
congrats on your successful journey. I understand what you mean when you said.......isn't enough enough......

it isn't so easy for me to write about though, but I will soon. I have been three years cancer free.
GigiSxm said…
Thanks Doreen and many congratulations to you too.
Keep on Keeping on!