2 Weeks post-op

I'm out of the hospital, two weeks post-op and feeling a little shaky still. Why is it i felt so much better in the hospital? hmmmmm.......

Well my new surgeon Prof. Hannoun performed an anastomosis on me 09/15. Instead of removing a perfectly functional pancreas ( well the insulin part is still working, the part secreting enzymes was removed 5 years ago) like my surgeon back home wanted to do, he redid the partial collapsed connection between the stomach and pancreas. A much more complicated procedure for the surgeon, but better for me the patient.

I've been out of the hospital 2 days now and I've experienced some vomiting, which i didn't have while at the hospital, but i attribute it to the cold weather, the fact that i'm more active now and listed side affects of one of my meds. I had one really bad night where i kept nothing down, since then i'm on the mend. Had it continued i'd have gone to the emergency room, but so far so good.

The hospital Pitie-Salpetriere is a huge complexe the size of a small town and is rated 15th hospital in all of France (2010 listing) and rated 10th for anything related to the pancreas. The surgical ward was very busy (i had 5 roommates in 10 days) and i felt i was in the capable hands of my surgeon the professor Hannoun. I was operated upon by the chief of staff himself!

While i was hospitalized (9/24) the president Sarkosy himself was there to inaugurate a state of the art brain research center with 600 doctors and researchers from the world over dedicated to diseases of the brain like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's and traumas due to accidents. As my mom said, I was within spitting distance of our President.

I am very satisfied with the hospital, surgeon, doctors and care received. I do not regret the decision to get a second opinion in the least!

I go back for a post-op consult on 10/11 and will find out then when i can go back to the sunshine!

Comments