Stay of execution

This update has been a long time coming but i had to get to a place where i could calmly discuss what happened when i went to Paris last year.

Last June I was off to Paris to have the remainder of my pancreas removed. I was as ready as i was gonna get. I didn't see my usual surgeon, he's about to retire and i saw his replacement. The new surgeon was part of the surgical/ teaching team so i'd seen him at my bedside after previous surgeries. So he was no stranger to me. But one of his first questions to me was : what was doing here? Are there no Doctors in the islands? Which was offensive. As a French national i have every right to seek medical attention in any French medical facility. He then wrote me a scrip for Tramadol and instructed me to come back in 6 months if my health degraded. A few days later i was in the ER with severe painful constipation comparable to how i felt when i had blockages in the past.

Needless to say i stopped taking that prescibed medication and returned to the caribbean.With no intention of going back to that hospital.

His comments were flippant. borderline discriminatory but what really pushed it over the edge was carelessly prescribing a drug to me that is known to constipate to a patient such as myself with my medical history with my file in front of him.

After I retrurned home my GP finaly convinced me t try a patch that would allieviate my chronic pain would not cause constipation or create dependency. I've resisted this for years as why treat the pain and bot the cause. But keeping my pancreas and not becoming an insulin dependent diabetic far outweighs the chronic pain. So I gave in.

And in the past 8 months i have rediscovered what it is not not loathe or fear meal times. What it is not not live with constant pain. What it is to enjoy a meal again. What it is to bot see my ribs when I get dressed. I've actually gained weight for the first time in 5 years.

This is not a long term solution. But it works for now. In the meantime i'm working on building my strength and stamina as i still get tired pretty auickly and feel exhausted all the time. I'm still working half days and hope to go back full time as soon as my health permits.


Comments