Living with the after effects of a whipple

TMI - this post maybe a little more graphic than you anticipated, so reader beware. But i meant this blog to present life after pancreatic cancer and sometimes it gets messy. With all the negative I read and continue to read on the web about the survival rate of PC survivors i sincerely hope and pray I'm one of the lucky ones. But on days like today it's hard to keep that positive outlook.

The good days are really good and I almost forget I ever had Pancreatic cancer or half my pancreas and stomach removed and life is all rosy. But the bad days are really bad when i dream of a regular bowel movement or hope to eat the most basic of meals without the urge to throw up.

Last week I battled with mild constipation and very irregular bowel movements, now this week I have diarrhea the likes you've never seen.

Just as good health helps me to forget and try to live as if there weren't that pesky '
95% PC survivors don't make it to 5 years' sentence looming over head, crappy health drives me into a depressive spiral where I have to fight the urge to get my affairs in order.

I stumbled quite accidentally onto the premature
Steve Jobs obit today and i didn't realize he had had Pancreatic cancer which led me to this which is so bleak and caused me to wonder if i was living on borrowed time myself.

I wish there were more positive stories out there. That that miraculous 5% were more vocal, that's what this blog was meant to be and that's what I sincerely hope it will be.


The digestion/bowel issues themselves are not cause for concern but coupled with my rising Amylase levels have me worried. The best case senario? A case of pancreitis, i've been there done that before and it's not pretty. The first one landed me in the hospital for a week (August 2005) a more recent one (nov 2008) was handled by my GP. I lost 5lbs over the course of one weekend where i could keep nothing , not even water down, an injection for the pain and tons of meds with one week medical leave and i was ready to face the world again.


The worse case scenario will remain unspoken....


Of course it could be just a simple stomach flu, which it usually is after I get myself all worked up. That I can handle right now and that's what I’m hoping for.


My 6 month CT Scan is about a month away and I'm scheduled to do some blood work within the next couple of weeks to check those Amylase levels, maybe I can convince my GP to advance the CT scan by 2 weeks.


I've been turning this around my mind for the past couple days and I think getting it down will help release me of it so i can concentrate on other endeavours.


In other good news lunch i ate 2 hours ago is still with me!!! baby steps :-)


Comments

barcann said…
Dear Gigi
I am sorry you are going through so much difficulty. Most days you are so upbeat but I know the bad days scare you.
You are doing what needs to be done though..living your life to the fullest. I read with awe on the other blog how active you are and how much of the island you are seeing that I don't think I have ever seen.
Keep on moving girl.

I hope you feel better soon.

BTW, do you have to go off island to get that CT scan? They can't do it here, can they?
Barbara
GigiSxm said…
Hi Barbara,
Thanks for the encouragement, and well wishes. A moving target is harder to hit, right :-) that's my philosophy on the whole thing.

It's called a 'scanner' in french. I googled the image once and i think it was a CT scan in english. If that's indeed what it is it's available at the lab in concordia on the french side.

I used to have to go to Martinique every six months in the early days to see the oncologist. I would do all the tests here (scan & blood) then take the results to the oncologists. Once they were certain that chemo and radiation were not the course of action, they stopped those visits.

I miss the shopping in Martinique though, but that's neither here nor there.
Unknown said…
I am inspired by your writing. so open and honest. I am hoping your rough days are few with multitudes of good days ahead.
Anonymous said…
Oh Gigi, this whole cancer thing sucks! I hate it so much. And I know exactly what you mean - every symptom is cause for worry. Every change to the new normal is cause for worry! We drive ourselves crazy I swear!

Hang in there my friend. Don't listen to the statistics - they are accumulated over many, many years when treatment plans were not as deceloped at they are now. Shut the number out, and focus on wellness.

Thoughts and prayers are with you!
GigiSxm said…
Thanks Doreen and Audrey. It's been a roller coaster ride. I have a 6mo check up coming up which usually relieves the pressure. I'll update then.
Thanks for reading and your words of comfort.
Mary said…
I hope things are going well with you. I'm so sorry for all you have to go through.
Dear Gigi,

Sorry I had not navigated to this site.

You are a brave woman, and am sorry that you have to go through this. Life is full of trials and tribulations, and yet you are living a full life.

I have an unknown cause for IBS, you have it worst. I shall think of you.

Ann
Merle Hamburger said…
Gigi,

I appreciate your writing and point of view. I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in April 2008; had chemo and radiation therapy last summer; my Whipple operation almost a year ago; and finished my post-surgical chemo in March. I have loved being free of hospitals (except for follow-up visits) since April and it has been wonderful.

My first 2-month checkup was good (no new cancer) and I have my next set of scans next week. I am happy to say that I have not had the difficulty it sounds like you have had; I am generally able to eat what I want (as long as I take my pancreatic enzymes).

I, too, started a blog to document my journey. It's a very tough road we walk; the uncertainty is the worst. I try to stay present and not borrow trouble from tomorrow.

I wish you all the best and will check back from time to time.

Warmest Regards,

Merle
Unknown said…
Hello Gigi,

Hope life is treating you well.

I have read your blog a few times and thought I would say hello!

I'm in the same situation

http://www.carlinleeds.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/a-year-on.html

I know what you mean about not hearing much from the 5% - so please keep vocal

All the best

Carl x